Monday, October 21, 2013

A VISIT TO GUAYAQUIL

Trip to Guayaquil.

Guayaquil is Ecuador’s main port near the mouth of the Guayas river. It is Ecuador’s largest city with roughly 3 million people and where I attended my first six years of school. We drove about 2 hours from a little coastal fishing village/resort called Punta Blanca to Guayaquil.

My specific interest, other than just seeing how the city has changed, was to see where I lived and to visit my old school.

Since I left for the U.S., Guayaquil has grown six fold in population and its area has expanded beyond my ability to recognize almost everything. However, using two landmarks I remember from childhood, those being the Cathedral and a building that looks like a castle, I easily located where I lived and my old grammar school.

The place where I lived is in a neighborhood called five corners. I was warned that it was a dangerous place, but I did not find it so. The house and apartment have deteriorated significantly, some of it was boarded up, but the structure had not changed in decades. That was the most surprising thing for me. The structure, and for that matter, the  surrounding streets, were almost as I had left them as a child. I suppose some things never change. 


Moving on to my school, San Jose -La Salle, With the exception of a different color, the school too, was exactly as I remembered it. Many memories came rushing. How we lined up for inspection, where we had to recite our daily memorizing task, where and how  I broke my arm and all the festive events of the school. Thus, my goal for visiting Guayaquil was met. 

In general, I found Guayaquil, congested, loud and hectic. Glad to be going back to Cuenca, which is my favorite city in Ecuador.









No comments:

Post a Comment